November 30th, 2005
Escalloped Corn Casserole Recipe
2 cans creamed corn
2 cans of whole kern corn drained (use fresh sweet corn, if in season)
2 whole eggs
8 tablespoons butter
1 sleeve of crackers*, crumbled or crushed fine
1 cup milk
1/2 medium sized onion, chopped fine
Kosher salt, to season
Fresh ground pepper, to season
*If you use buttery round crackers like Ritz, taper the butter. If you are using saltine crackers, be careful there is no need for the salt.
Making Escalloped Corn Casserole
- Mix all ingredients well in a casserole dish.
- Bake in the oven 350⁰F for 1 to 1 ½ hours. Internal temperature should reach minimum of 160 degrees. The finished product should have the consistency of lumpy oatmeal.
January 12th, 2005
This recipe comes from one of my favorite client, Nicole.
1 7-ounce jar roasted red sweet peppers, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup half-and-half or light cream
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons fresh parsley
1 teaspoon bottled minced roasted garlic
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups sliced crimini, button, and/or shiitake mushrooms
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons margarine or butter
4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto or ham, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
5 purchased crepes
1. For sweet pepper sauce, in a blender container or food processor bowl combine roasted peppers, half-and-half or light cream, and vinegar. Cover; blend or process until smooth. Pour into a small bowl. Cover; set aside.
2. In another small bowl stir together cream cheese, parsley, garlic, and black pepper; set aside. In a large skillet cook mushrooms and onion in hot margarine or butter over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and most of the liquid evaporates. Remove from heat; stir in prosciutto or ham.
3. Place one crepe in the bottom of a lightly greased 9-inch pie plate. Spread about one-fifth of the cream cheese mixture over crepe; sprinkle with about one-fifth of the mushroom mixture. Add a second crepe (if using square crepes, set second crepe at a slight angle to the first crepe so points are staggered). Add another one-fifth of the cream cheese and mushroom mixtures as before. Repeat with the remaining crepes, cream cheese mixture, and mushroom mixture, ending with mushroom mixture. Cover loosely with foil.
4. Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 20 minutes or until heated through. Cut into wedges to serve. Pass sweet pepper sauce. Makes 6 to 8 servings.