November 28th, 2004
Are you sick of the Thanksgiving leftovers yet? Throw them in a pot and make this tasty and heartwarming soup. This recipe uses homemade stock which will need to be made at least a day in advanced. To save time you can skip step 1 and use chicken broth. The result will be a soup that is a little less flavorful, although still delicious.
Turkey Soup Ingredients
2 quarts chicken broth or water
1 turkey carcass, meat removed
2 onions, 1 halved and 1 minced
2 carrots, 1 halved and 1 minced
2 celery stalks, 1 whole and 1 minced
2 bay leaves
3 cups turkey meat (I prefer dark meat)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves
4 tbsp flour
Leftover Thanksgiving vegetables
1 cup cooked rice
2 cups cream
crushed oregano, for garnish
parmesan cheese, for garnish
Turkey Soup Recipe
- Put chicken broth or water, turkey carcass, onion halves, carrot halves, 1 celery stalk, and 1 bay leaf in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil, and then simmer about 2 to 3 hours.
- In the meantime, dice the remaining onion, carrot and celery into fine pieces. Break up the turkey meat so that it is bite size, no larger than the size of a soup spoon. Set aside.
- Remove large bones and carcass from the pot. Strain the broth through a colander covered with wet cheese cloth. Discard the solids. Transfer into a clean bowl or pot, store in the refrigerator until the next day. At that time remove the fat layer if you choose.
- In a large soup pot, heat garlic cloves and chopped sage in butter. Allow to brown slightly and add minced carrots, celery, and onion. Sweat over medium-low heat until softened, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add flour and continue cooking for few more minutes.
- Slowly add a 1/4 of the stock and stir well, scraping the bottom of the pan to mix in the flour and bring to a boil.
- Add leftover Thanksgiving vegetables to the soup pot along with rice and the remaining broth and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer.
- Add cream; continue to simmer in low heat till heated through.
- Turn the heat off and cover. Allow to sit and steam for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Garnish with crushed oregano leaves and parmesan cheese.